Digital CitizenshipIt's everyone's responsibility!The Del Mar Union School District has a structured technology curriculum that teaches children in grades K - 6 about Digital Citizenship and what it means to be a good digital citizen. Discussions include the importance of adhering to district policies, respect for all technology equipment, respect for other students' work, cyber bullying and how to be safe in cyber space.
How you can support the on-going efforts of the Del Mar School District
- Model and practice good digital citizenship at home
- Support the integration of technology (Google Apps and Typing Club)
- Monitor what your children do on the internet, especially any social networking sites they may belong to.
- Check the logs and cache on your home computer(s)
- Model appropriate use of cell phones
- Talk to your children about digital citizenship and what to do if they encounter inappropriate content.
Websites you might find helpful in your effort to support good digital citizenship and Internet safety at home
- Common Sense Education
- Common Sense Media
- Connect Safely
- Internet Safety 101
- Parent Guide to Protecting Kids Online
- Mom has son sign 18-point agreement to use phone (abc news)
- Google Safety Center
Related District Documents
- Board Policy 6163.4 (Student Use of Technology)
- Student Acceptable Use Agreement
- Board Policy 5131.2 (Bullying)
Related Presentations and Documents
- Genius Bar Resources for Android and iPhone - resources for safety settings and filtering internet on your smartphone or tablet
- Digital Citizenship Resources - parent information related to Common Sense Media curriculum taught in Del Mar Schools
- Computer Science, Coding, and Robotics Resources
- Common Sense Media Resources
- Digital Citizenship & Cyber Safety with Sue Thotz of Common Sense Education
- Parent Presentation
- Family Media Agreement - an agreement between parents and children that can start conversations about media use.
- Family Toolbox - Common Sense Education's family resources.
- YouTube tips for parents.
- Internet Safety, F.B.I. Presentation