May 20-24, 2019
NO SCHOOL on Monday, May 27th- Memorial Day Observed
SBAC State-Wide Testing: Testing is pretty much done for third grade. We have a few students that need to finish up a few test segments, but for the most part, we are done. However, 5th grade is still testing, so we are maintaining a quiet campus till Friday, May 24th. ALL PARENT VOLUNTEERS MAY NOT WORK IN OUR HALLWAYS UNTIL TUESDAY, MAY 28th. Thank you for doing the work we have left up in the teachers’ lounge area.
School of the Future Design Thinking Challenge: All DMUSD students are participating in this challenge. Teachers are making time for students to come up with creative ways to design learning spaces, recreation areas and lunch spaces. Students may select to present via Google Slide show, model, poster or essay/poem. All projects will be on display at our school on Friday, May 24th from 8:00-8:30. Come on and see the creativity of the School of the Future!!
Egg Drop Challenge:
Over the next few weeks in Mrs. Johnson’s science rotation, your child will learn about the Egg Drop Challenge. Please have your child bring in his/her system (with the raw egg inside) on Friday, June 4th. Your child may work with a partner. All construction will be done at home. Students may work with another third grader from another class if preferred. All building will be done at home.
Objective: Design a system to protect an egg from cracking or breaking from a high fall.
Materials: Use anything you'd like! Some ideas include: paper towels, straws, tape, cardboard tubes, paper, popsicle sticks, baggies or old boxes.
Restrictions: No metal or glass may be utilized and keep the contraption smaller than a shoebox. No drones either.
Ideas: Popcorn, parachutes, packing peanuts, cereal, balloons, straws, or a combo of ideas
What are we learning this month:
- English Language Arts: In Wonders, students are learning about how nature gives people ideas like spider web designs for buildings and looking at how bats fly to get inspiration to create better canes for blind people. We also began a class novel, Charlotte’s Web. Students are focusing on thinking strategies such as Step Inside a Character and Word, Phrase & Sentence to discover themes and character traits.
- Poetry/Art: Students are creating a spring poem.
- Science: Students started a unit on Forces and Magnets. Students are designing bridges and then fast slides in class. Egg drop activity will be introduced.
- Social Studies: Students continue to study people in our community that make a difference.
- Math: Students are participating in an Escape Room activity over 3rd grade math skills. This is a very fun way for students to review and practice.
Third Grade Team:
Melissa Davis (2/3 combo)