Kindergarten Nuts & BoltsGetting Your Child Ready for Kindergarten
Welcome future kindergartners! There are some things to help best prepare your child for Kindergarten this fall…
As summer winds down, here are some things to be thinking about as you are getting ready for school:
- Remember to read, read, read to your child EVERYDAY!
- Practice counting, sing songs together, and play!
- Feel free to come to our playground over the summer and get familiar with our school and its incredible ocean view!
- A list of needed school supplies should be posted on the school website, please check it often over the summer for updates and news too.
- Full-sized backpacks without wheels are preferred for kindergarten.
- Closed-toe shoes are a must.
- Please have a small, healthy snack labeled with your child’s name ready for the first day of school. It is helpful if the snack is separate from your child’s lunch. We will have bins outside our classrooms to place their snacks.
- Don’t forget to come to school the Friday, before the first day at 11:00 am for our Kindergarten Orientation. You will meet your teacher, see your child’s classroom, and sign up for a variety of activities. You won’t want to miss it!
School starts promptly at 8:00. For the first week, we suggest arriving to school at about 7:35 and park a block or two away (our parking lot is reserved for staff members). Then, you and your child can walk together to the kindergarten playground. This will allow your child to have time to play and see friends before school starts. This will also give you have a chance to talk to other parents in the class and get some great pictures.
If younger siblings will be coming along for morning drop off, PLEASE keep an eye on them. The kindergarten playground equipment is designed for specifically kindergartners. We don’t want any bumped or bruised toddlers.
For the first six weeks of school kindergarteners are dismissed at 12:40 pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. All Del Mar Heights students are dismissed at 12:30 pm on Wednesdays. For kindergarten dismissal, you can either meet your child at our dismissal area outside the school office or wait in your car in the pick up/drop off line and we will walk your child to your car. If you do choose to drive, remain in your car. This area is a fire lane. Cars parked without drivers endanger our students. Thank you in advance for staying in your car.