Preschool Speech and Language / Special Education Referrals
If your child is 2 years, 9 months of age or older and you have concerns regarding their speech/language development, you may request an educationally-based academic or speech language evaluation.
Typical Speech Development:
This chart shows at what age 90% of children can articulate the English consonants correctly. Vowels are correctly produced by the age of three. All children do not develop at the same time and in the same way, so we cannot expect correct speech from every child in the primary grades.
Evaluation Request Procedure:
- Download and fill out the Preschool Registration Packet using your computer
- Print and submit Registration Packet to:
Audrey Shepard, Program Assistant, Student Services
Del Mar Union School District
11232 El Camino Real
San Diego, CA 92130
- Please include the following with the Registration Packet:
- Two different proofs of residency showing you live within our district boundaries (can be a lease, property tax statement, government correspondence, utility bill(s) or SDG&E Letter of Residence)
- Your child’s birth certificate or passport
- Your child’s immunization records
Once the District has received and reviewed the above items, a District Special Education staff member will contact you within 15 days to go over the procedure, develop a plan and answer any questions you may have regarding the evaluation process.
If you have any questions about referrals, please contact Student Services at 858-755-9301, ext 3688.