Applications were open through February 28, 2019 and are now closed.
Citizens' Oversight Committee Formation
Proposition 39 requires school districts that pass Proposition 39 bonds (55% approval) to seat an Independent Citizens' Oversight Committee (COC) to assure the community that bond funds are expended as outlined in the district's bond resolution. The COC must meet at least once a year and inform the public about the expenditure of bond revenues. The COC shall actively review and report on the proper expenditure of taxpayers' money for school construction. The COC shall consist of at least seven members to serve for a term of two years without compensation and for no more than three consecutive terms. The COC shall be comprised, as follows:
- One member active in a business organization representing the business community located within the district.
- One member from an active senior citizens organization.
- One member from a bona fide taxpayers organization.
- One member shall be a parent or guardian of a child enrolled in the district.
- One member shall be both a parent or guardian of a child enrolled in the district and active in a parent-teacher organization, such as the Parent Teacher Association or School Site Council.
- No employee or official of the district shall be appointed to the COC. No vendor, contractor, or consultant of the district shall be appointed to the COC.
Education Code Section 15278 requires the Governing Board of the school district to establish and appoint members to an Independent Citizens' Oversight Committee (COC) within 60 days of the date that the governing board certifies election results. The proposed timeline for DMUSD COC selection process is as follows:
January 23, 2019 Board Meeting: Board provides direction for COC process
February 7, 2019: District issues press release and flyers to solicit applications for COC
February 28, 2019: Applications for COC due
March: Applications are reviewed and applicants are identified for an interview. Interview panel to include two Board Members and two district staff.
April 24, 2019 Board Meeting: Board approval of COC members