Return to Headlines
District Design 2022 - Priority Actions
District Design 2022
Lever 1: Strong Academic Core and High Quality Instruction
- Provide professional learning for every teacher in the essential elements of instruction for the purpose of increasing teachers’ knowledge and the effective, intentional use of the elements.
- Provide professional learning to develop teachers’ knowledge of content standards and instructional methodologies in reading and science.
- Fully utilize PowerSchool as a professional tool to support student learning and increase the efficient management of instructional resources.
- Students will engage with and learn from industry experts (local and/or global) to deepen students’ understanding of standards-based content.
- Explore the potential for a pilot language program to occur during the course of the instructional day for the purpose of incorporating second language experiences.
Lever 2: The Skills that Matter Most
- Implement Second Step curriculum in every classroom as part of a comprehensive social emotional learning plan at every school.
- Utilize hubs at select schools and grade levels to examine student agency and personalization to further the intentional use of instructional strategies that promote and expand these principles broadly throughout the district.
- Create structured timeframes to engage students in focus groups for the purpose of informing the work of DD2022 and the impact on the students’ school experience.
- Students will engage in relevant, standards-aligned civic learning experiences that provide opportunity to develop student agency.
- Students will publicly showcase the process of learning (vs.products of learning) to audiences using authentic platforms throughout the school year.
Lever 3: Environment
- Use research-based practices to optimize the impact of environment on student learning.
- Continue to transition libraries and computer labs from singular purpose spaces to multi-use spaces where students can create, collaborate, and utilize a variety of technology tools and materials.
- Continue to support classroom environmental shifts to create flexible learning settings that provide personalization and opportunities for student agency.
- Identify, provide examples, and transition to learning environments that visually represent the process of student thinking (visible thinking) vs. culminating products of learning.
Supporting Priority Actions
- Identify industry experts and real world connections, locally and globally, to support instruction in identified subject matter.
- Create opportunities for meaningful learning that allows for a consistent presence of industry experts within the instructional program.
- Work closely with Harvard University, and other universities as applicable, to inform decisions regarding research-based best practices, and partner to advance innovative ideas that transform the school experience.
- Continue ongoing partnership with SDCOE to monitor and evaluate the implementation of DD2022.
- The district will develop a budget that will support the priorities of the Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP) and District Design 2022.
- The district will work collaboratively with the Del Mar Schools Education Foundation to help the Foundation fulfill its mission to support STEAM+ learning.
- The district will increase the level of financial reserves, as the District is a community funded school district (Basic Aid) and commits to proactive fiscal planning.
- Create a Facilities Advisory Task Force to engage stakeholders in prioritizing facilities projects based on district resources in order to provide input and recommendations to the superintendent and Cabinet.
- Analyze enrollment and capacity to inform Superintendent’s Facilities Advisory Committee and Cabinet regarding decisions, prioritization, and timelines for facilities projects.
- Articulate a series of specific communication actions to reach targeted audiences at identified times throughout the calendar year.
- Analyze methods used to communicate with various stakeholder groups, determine efficacy of those methods, and then utilize best formats to reach more people.
- Populate social media with robust, current information regarding district and school events and the great work of the district.
- Gather staff and student input regarding district matters via small focus group meetings throughout the year.
- Provide parent access to PowerSchool so as to provide a central location for teacher and parent communications.
- Continue to monitor safety protocols and provide all staff with up-to-date training in current safety protocols.
- Partner with the Sandy Hook Promise for the purpose of informing student safety and wellness.
- Seek input from the community via school safety workshop(s).
- Administer a school climate survey to gather student input.
- Gather student input regarding school matters via small focus group meetings with school principals.