COVID-19 Update, 3/9/2020
As we monitor the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) situation in San Diego County, we wanted to provide you with this important update that could impact our families as we approach Spring Break.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued new guidance (as of March 5) for people who have traveled to countries with widespread, ongoing transmission of COVID-19.
At this time, people who have traveled to China, Iran, Italy, Japan, or South Korea (Level 2 and 3 Travel Health Notice countries) are asked to stay home for 14 days from the time they left an area with widespread, ongoing community spread, and practice social distancing.
Specifically, the CDC advises people who have traveled to these countries to monitor their health and practice social distancing, which includes:
- Take your temperature with a thermometer two times a day and monitor for fever. Also watch for cough or trouble breathing.
- Stay home and avoid contact with others. Do not go to work or school for this 14-day period. Discuss your work situation with your employer before returning to work.
- Do not take public transportation, taxis, or ride-shares during the time you are practicing social distancing.
- Avoid crowded places (such as shopping centers and movie theaters) and limit your activities in public.
- Keep your distance from others (about 6 feet or 2 meters).
The CDC currently recommends that individuals avoid all nonessential travel to China, Iran, Italy, and South Korea and recommends older adults or those with chronic medical conditions postpone travel to Japan. If you or your child must travel to one of these countries, please expect to follow the above guidelines upon your return. Any student enrolling or returning from one of these countries will be permitted to enroll after the 14 day period has been completed . Please contact your child’s school ahead of time to determine what options exist for your child to continue their studies while at home. The Del Mar Union School District will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as necessary.
If you have questions or concerns about this information, please contact me. We thank you for your cooperation and support.
Director of Student Services
Del Mar Union School District
11232 El Camino Real
San Diego, CA 92130