- Carmel Del Mar School
Principal's Weekly Message
Hello CDM Families,
This is Ms. Lerner with your Principal’s Weekly Message for the week of September 15th. Our Dragons are really into the swing of the school routine, and they are so excited to share their learning when I spend time in their classrooms. Every single day my interactions with our students, staff and families is a reminder of how lucky I am to have been selected to serve as the Principal of our school.
Thank you to all of our parents who were able to attend our first Principal’s Coffee and ELAC meeting of the 2019-20 school year last week. I enjoyed learning about our school and community through your lens and look forward to interacting with many more of you in future Principal’s Coffees, ELAC meetings, and other family events.
And now, for some important dates and information…
Important dates/events at CDM this week:
- Wednesday, September 18th: Mission 2 $ave! 7:30-7:55am
- Thursday, September 19th from 9:00-12:00pm: Everyone A Reader Program Training. EAR is a program where volunteer tutors work one-on-one with students who need some additional reading support. Ms. Lili will be coordinating this incredible opportunity for some of our struggling readers this year and invites those who are interested in serving as volunteer tutors to join her in this training at Ashley Falls. If you are able to make a difference in a child’s life by volunteering just one hour per week (or more), please email Ms. Lili at email@example.com by Monday, September 16th.
- Thursday, September 19th: Ice Cream Social 5:00-7:00pm - Come and enjoy pizza and dessert while meeting, mingling and reconnecting with friends and the CDM community! Ice cream is provided for free by our PTA and pizza ($2) and drinks ($1) will be available (cash only).
- Friday, September 20th: School Picture Day
- Friday, September 20th: Kona Ice Truck at 2:30pm - will be outside of school after dismissal for you to purchase shaved ice treats.
Important information at CDM:
- Parent Volunteers – TB Test Policy Update – Our district has updated our TB testing policy for volunteers to reflect current legislation. Now, volunteers must submit either a TB skin test result OR a TB risk assessment form (available in our front office). As long as you have just one of these on file, you can volunteer at our school. Please see attached for the revised volunteer form, which we continue to require for all volunteers.
- DMUSD Speaker Series for Parents: Survey - DMUSD is excited to offer a Speaker Series for Parents this year. They will be scheduling speakers to focus on topics related to student wellness. In order to ensure these events are meaningful to parents, they request your feedback on topics of interest to you. Please take 60 seconds to complete the quick survey at this link. The survey will close at midnight on September 22nd. Thank you for taking our district’s survey!
- Parents of 4th to 6th Grade Students: CAASP Reports - This year, the testing vendor for all standardized testing, which took place last spring, printed all CAASPP parent reports in a second language if any second language has been associated with a student since he or she was first enrolled in California schools. There were no options to print English reports unless the student's primary language was English upon school entry. Parent reports for all students are available in English electronically and can be requested by emailing Shirley Bales in Instructional Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From our PTA:
- PTA Membership Campaign - The Annual PTA Membership Campaign is on through September 22nd! Your membership helps fund events, programs, teacher mini-grants, and so much more for our school! Family membership costs $30 for the year, and discount yearbooks ($20 instead of $35) are also available to anyone who becomes a member during the campaign! Visit the PTA website carmeldelmarpta.com to become a member now and find out why supporting our CDM PTA is important!
Questions? Email email@example.com
- Yearbook Parent Volunteer Urgently Needed - Our volunteer yearbook coordinator is retiring after 12 years of service...thank you Erica Gross! We urgently need one or two adult volunteers to support our teachers - Mrs. Zebold and Ms. Thorsen - in designing the yearbook this year. No special skills needed. This is a weekly commitment of 2-3 hours and some additional hours toward the end of the school year.
- Cans for Critters & Bottles for Books: Message from Miss Rose - Miss Rose is collecting empty plastic bottles and cans again by the flagpole (see blue bins). She takes them to the recycling center every Friday and donates the money she collects to help feed the animals in the science lab and purchase more books for the library. This is a great opportunity to teach our Dragons about recycling! Bring your empty bottles and cans to school for a good cause. Thank you, CDM families!
That’s it for now… have a wonderful evening.
With Great Dragon Pride,
You can follow us at:
Volunteer Document 2019-20 rev 9-11-2019.pdf