- Carmel Del Mar School
Principal's Weekly Message
Hello CDM Families,
Thank you to all of our families for your generous support of this year’s jog-a-thon. There are a lot of ways you helped; for example, we received many donations from our families, extended families and friends too; a plethora of parents volunteered to help out the day of the event; Coach Brand set up the course to ensure we had room to engage in this event all together as an entire school; and each one of our Dragons ran or walked as much as they could to support our STEAM+ programs at CDM. Collectively, we raised about $50,000 through this event and although we didn’t raise enough for Ms. Lerner to color her hair purple, we are VERY proud of our community’s incredible effort!
CDM is pleased to announce our two employees of the year for the 2019-2020 school year. Our Classified Employee of the Year is Katie Gomez, our instrumental office assistant. We are thrilled Ms. Gomez is one of the first people you meet when you enter the Carmel Del Mar school campus because she greets all who enter with respect and a smile. She communicates effortlessly during interactions with our parent community and knows almost every student by name. Ms. Gomez is a genuinely warm and integral member of the CDM front office team, and our school community at large. Our Certificated Teacher of the Year is first grade teacher, Ashley Whipple. Ms. Whipple is dedicated to creating a positive classroom environment for every single one of her students. She is a teacher who enthusiastically engages in the teaching and learning process on a daily basis and sincerely enjoys the time she spends with her students. Ms. Whipple’s high energy spills over into everything she does and radiates to all of us who are lucky enough to work beside her in educating our Dragons. Congratulations to both of these beloved CDM employees!
And now, for some important dates and information…
Important dates/events at CDM this week:
- Monday, March 9th-16th: CDM Used Book Donations – used books can continue to be donated every day in the bins in front of our library (see below for more information).
- Wednesday, March 11th: Mission 2 $ave! 7:30-7:55am
- Friday, March 13th: Brown Bag Lunch 11:45-12:30pm – We would love to invite our parents to join our Dragons so, feel free to pack a lunch and come on over to join in on the fun that takes place every day during lunch/recess at CDM.
Important information at CDM:
- Parent/Teacher Conference Week: March 16th-20th – Please make sure you scheduled your parent/teacher conference with your child’s teacher as most of these meetings will take place from Monday, March 16th - Friday, March 20th. The purpose of our Spring parent/teacher conferences is to clearly communicate each child’s progress academically, socially and with regard to expected classroom behavior. Our classroom teachers look forward to meeting with each of you again and supporting our goal of partnering together in educating your Dragon(s).
- Parent/Teacher Conference Week: March 16th-20th – We will dismiss early every day during this week of school to provide time to host P/T conferences. Our school day will take place from 8:00am-12:30pm, Monday, March 16th - Friday, March 20th.
- CDM Jr. Olympics: Wednesday March 25th - Jr. Olympics at Carmel Del Mar is just around the corner. It will take place on Wednesday, March 25th from 12:30-2:30pm. This event is a free skills competition open to 2nd-6th graders. We are practicing these events in PE class. The contest is based on SKILLS like dribbling, shooting, rallying a tennis ball etc. CDM Jr. Olympics encourages youth participation in sport while emphasizing fair and friendly competition. Participation is voluntary.
All students who wish to participate must fill out a signed registration form and turn it in by Friday, March 20th to participate. Coach Brand needs volunteers to help with this event on March 25th so, please email her if you are interested at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you in advance for helping with this fun competition at CDM!
From our PTA:
- CDM Used Book Sale: Calling for all your old books! Used books will continue to be collected through Monday, March 16th. Bins will be available for book drop-off in front of the library. Our annual CDM Used Book Sale will take place during conference week (March 16th-20th). All proceeds from this sale will benefit the CDM Library. We also need volunteers to support this event. Please sign up to help at: https://signup.com/go/HAuZVvK. Questions? Ask our Librarian Miss Lili at email@example.com or Tamara Wells firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dragon Ball: We are only two weeks away from the big event on Sunday, March 29th! Dragon Ball is an annual event available to all CDM families. It is a fun dance available to any CDM student and their chaperon, no longer just for fathers and daughters as in years past. Each student attends with a chaperon or family member. For more information please click here.
- CDM’s Annual Art Night: We had a great time at the 5th Annual CDM Art Night on Thursday evening! Thank you to our students for providing such creative pieces of art, and all of the volunteers that put together such a fun night of art appreciation!
From our DMSEF Representatives:
- CDM Jog-a-thon: Thank you! Thank you for a fantastic Jogathon this past Wednesday, March 4th. Our students ran a total of 12,180 laps which is about 2,213 miles… way to go, Dragons! Thank you to all of our volunteers - we could not have done it without our lap markers, fruit cutters, grade helpers, bib pinners, parent runners, water table staffers, lap talliers, and everyone else who pitched in to make this a great Jogathon!
- CDM Jog-a-thon: Fundraising Update… We are a bit short on our fundraising goals compared to last year. As of Friday afternoon, March 6th, we had raised $50,567. We have found a potential technical glitch with the website, and some emails that families sent to friends and relatives may not have been delivered. So, if you aren’t sure if your friends or relatives got your fundraising email request, feel free to reach out to them because we are leaving the fundraising platform open until next Thursday, March 12th. There is still time to donate! https://delmar.securesweet.com/CDM2020. Thank you for your support!!
That’s it for now… hope you had a wonderful weekend.
With Great Dragon Pride,
You can follow us at: